At present, there are 12-24 million online businesses active across the globe. That’s impressive, right?
But, only 650,000 of them generate an annual income of more than $1,000.
And, out of the top one million sites surveyed by Alexa, only 47,000 online stores are large enough to be considered as the ‘biggest sites on the internet’.
From the three above-mentioned statistics, we can make two conclusions: Online businesses are ample in number but the businesses that are doing well are scarce. Also, when it boils down to excellence, we are finding that only 4.7% of the total number of online websites are online stores.
Therefore, online businesses that are really doing something extraordinary are indeed as rare as hen’s teeth.
We have experienced this lack of proper strategy and vision while helping our clients with their online marketing strategies. Here is a nine-step journey to empower your online business in the most market-competitive way:
Brand value and personal branding
39% of Australian baby boomers say that they have not interested in online shopping simply because they want to experience the brick and mortar existence of a shop. Therefore, the biggest challenge when running an online business is to build brand trust among the target audience.
We feel that the most important way of sustaining your brand value is;
Steady communication: James Schramko (Super Fast Business) believes that constant communication with customers and solving their real-time problems are the most authentic ways of making them trust your brand. To do this, make sure that your customer support team is knowledgeable and is always available across time zones. Live interaction with customers over electronic media helps a lot.
Google PPC campaigns are the type of marketing strategy that even professional marketers do not trust themselves enough to get to grips with.
Here are some success tips for your next PPC campaign:
- Focus on each of the stages separately: campaigns, ad groups, keywords, ad texts, and landing pages.
- Run retargeting campaigns on display ads.
- Use market automation tools for PPC management. WordStream Free Keyword Tool is a good option.
- Focus on keywords that you cannot organically rank.
Standard product quality
Your product or service must be good. Period. You work on the customer emotion, you build up an extraordinary customer support team, you make your e-commerce website flood with positive customer reviews; your customers are not going to come back to you if your product is not up to scratch. Therefore, product quality is the base and all the other parameters are superstructure.
Honesty and transparency
Imagine that you were confused regarding a purchase you were planning to make and how the product works; you called customer care and they convinced you that the product was made perfectly for you. So you bought it but later found out that it is of no use to you. Would you purchase from that brand ever again?
Your customers think the same way as well. Let the customer know your weaknesses along with your strengths. It’s perfectly fine not to have a perfect five-star rating on all your products. Only show genuine customer reviews and train your customer relationship executives to be honest with your customers.
5. A mobile friendly website
46% of the time, websites in Australia are opened for the first time on a mobile device. Yes, that means that almost half of the time the first impression that a customer has of your website is through a mobile device.
Still, only16% of websites are mobile friendly. Yes, only 16%!Do not make the same mistake that 84% of your competitors are making.
- According to the Google algorithm (2015), mobile responsive websites are of paramount priority to Google from an SEO perspective.
- Mobile internet traffic represents 2% of the entire search traffic in 2018. Therefore, it’s always better to be somewhere where customers can easily find you.
- A customer who has a good experience using the mobile version will visit the desktop-version with a positive notion.
- Thousands of your competitors are coming online every day. Will you remain out of the competition?
- Mobile friendly websites mean that you will reach out to more customers and they will reach out to you.
- Without mobile optimization, all other online marketing channels will get blocked at this stage.
- You want your business to be up-to-date and on par with the competition, right?
For entrepreneurs, content marketing is the second most revenue generating channel. We suggest that you start with shorter content, like social media posts, and then proceed to bigger channels with more circulation, incorporating campaigns like guest blogging, content bucket, e-books, and email marketing.
Forum commenting is another unexplored content marketing channel that has a very high conversion rate. Just remember to never push your product or service but, instead, help your customer to solve their problem.
Search engine optimization
SEO is important for web pages to rank higher, we know that.
But why is it specifically important for e-commerce websites?
- SEO increases brand visibility and authority
- A proper SEO helps you know a lot about your customers
- A well-done SEO can bring a good amount of traffic
- SEO speaks for your brand credibility
- In the advertising sector, SEO has the highest ROI
Conversion optimization can be called the tracker of conversion rates. Once a visitor hits your website, they can do many things; add something to the cart, make a purchase, leave the site or spend many sessions there. Conversion optimization is the best way of tracking customer behavior that helps directly in improving profits.
Social media marketing
Social media marketing works more like support-marketing than mainstream marketing. Getting direct sales from social media marketing might not be as effective as email marketing or PPC campaigns but it works excellently in building brand credibility.